Answered By: Library Reviewer Last Updated: Oct 16, 2014 Views: 17
Legislative history materials for state legislatures are not as readily available as they are for federal laws. The amount of legislative history materials also vary tremendously from state to state.
There are a few sources to check to identify what materials are available for a given state:
- State Legislative Sourcebook: This print source will identify what types of legislative history information is available for a given state and will provide contact information.
- State Legislative History Research Guides: This website provides links to research guides covering all aspects of legislative history research for individual states that have been produced by law librarians in their home states.
- LexisNexis: From the main legal directory go to States Legal - U.S. > [State] > Find Statutes, Regulations, Administrative Materials & Court Rules
- Westlaw: From the main directory go to U.S. State Materials > Legislative Histories
- Also be sure to check the website of each state's legislature. Legislative materials that are available online will vary from state to state.